Please mark your calendars to attend the upcoming annual meeting of SAAVS on Thursday, June 18th at the Sheraton Chicago in Ballroom V. Click for Schedule.
Dues for 2015 should be paid in advance through the website or sending a check.
Dues may also be collected at the meeting.
From the President
I am honored to serve as the fifth president of the South Asian American Vascular Surgery (SAAVS). Let me start by first thanking the previous leaders of this organization. They have truly done the most difficult part in building this society from the ground up and getting us to this point. I am grateful to them for giving me an organization that is in excellent shape. We have a stable membership, are financially sound and well-positioned to expand.
My vision for the future of SAAVS rests on fulfilling our mission to collaborate with our counterparts in South Asia in ways that are mutually beneficial. There are several key initiatives that will further this agenda:
- initiate the travel fellowship that will allow vascular surgery trainees from South Asia to visit centers of excellence in the US. The visit will center on exchanging ideas to manage difficult clinical problems as well as understanding the barriers to effective clinical research.
- initiate a reciprocal travel award that will allow vascular surgery trainees from the US to visit centers in Asia for a similar interchange of ideas. The US fellowship will be available to any trainee in an ACGME accredited fellowship.
- use the strength of our membership in the US to help members fulfill multi-center clinical studies
- use the strength of our partnership with The Vascular Society of India (VSI) to initiate collaborative studies that shed light on issues of cost, quality and how patient factors affect outcomes in vascular disease
This is an ambitious agenda but one that can be largely fulfilled if we work with energy and ambition.
I will provide quarterly updates on our progress and will reach out to many of you for assistance and advice as the year progresses.
Thank you again for allowing me to serve in this position.
Purpose of Society
The Society was formed to provide a forum for scientific, clinical, cultural, charitable and social interaction among American physicians and healthcare providers of South Asian origin involved in the management of vascular disease.
The South Asian community of Vascular Surgeons has been a significant part of the U.S Vascular Surgery specialty. Several surgeons with a shared heritage from South Asia started talking about forming a group in 2008. The conversation was broadened to solicit interest amongst South Asian surgeons from various backgrounds and age groups. An informal meeting was arranged at the Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS) Annual meeting in 2009 where great interest was expressed in starting the society. Past and present officers of the SVS also conveyed support attended the meeting. After drafting bylaws and registering the South Asian American Vascular Society (SAAVS) as a 501 C (3) organization the Society was officially in business.
The first annual meeting of the SAAVS was held on 6-10-2010 in Boston where a slate of officers was elected, a program consisting of talks of a scientific and human interest were presented. The founding President (Krishna Jain, MD) and first President-elect (Bhagwan Satiani, MD) guided plans to refine the bylaws and develop a timeline for the executive committee to carry out the hard work necessary for a successful society.
There will be no discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, color, creed, or disability.
Download SAAVS Bylaws
The Founding Members of the SAAVS are:
- Suresh Alankar MD
- Sateesh Babu MD
- Mohan Das MD
- Kapil Gopal MD
- Sachinder Hans MD
- Shahid Haque MD
- Ani Hingorani MD
- Krishna Jain MD
- Zafar Jamil MD
- Karthikeshwar Kasirajan MD
- Brajesh Lal MD
- Rajesh Malik MD
- Chittur Mohan MD
- Ragu Motaganahalli MD
- Manikyam Mutyalal MD
- Deepak Nair MD
- Lakshikumar Pillai MD
- Hiranya Rajasinghe MD
- Bhagwan Satiani MD
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SAAVSociety
Join us on linkedIN: www.linkedin.com/groups/South-Asian-American-